Motilal Oswal Demat Account
In this article, you will find all information about the Motilal Oswal Demat account.
Before we begin, let's understand what a Demat account is. If you look at the history of stock trading in India, the transfer of shares included a lot of paperwork. For each share that was traded, a physical certificate had to be created. The demat system was created in 1996 to improve this highly inefficient process.
A Demat account stands for dematerialization account and allows us to hold the investments in an electronic format. It acts similar to a bank for holding investments such as shares, bonds, securities, etc. It is currently compulsory to open a Demat account to trade in the stock markets such as NSE and BSE.
Motilal Oswal Demat account charges
|Account Opening Charges||Zero|
|Demat AMC (Annual Maintenance Charges)||Free or Rs.300 per Annum|
|Trading AMC (Annual Maintenance Charges)||Free|
|Depository||NSDL & CDSL|
How to open Motilal Oswal Demat account?
- Register on the official website of Motilal Oswal by providing your name, email address, and phone number. Alternatively, you can also contact us to get the best offers for a Demat account in Motilal Oswal.
- After details are submitted to Motilal Oswal, a representative will call you to assist in opening your Demat and trading account.
- You need to download the required forms, sign them, and courier them back to Motilal Oswal.
- You also need to provide documents for identity such as Aadhaar Card, pan card, etc. Also, documents for address proof and income proofs are required, such as Bank Statement, Cancelled cheque, etc.
- The best part is that you will be entirely guided by the representative who handles your account opening process. After completing the Demat account opening process, you will receive a username and password (over email and SMS) to login to Motilal Oswal trading platforms.
What are Motilal Oswal Demat Account Opening charges?
Motilal Oswal charges an account opening fee of Zero in general for opening a Demat and a trading account. Please note that account opening charges can differ depending on the asset class. A Demat account is technically different from a trading account. Many people don't quite understand the difference. Motilal Oswal Demat account holds the investments, while the trading account enables you to buy and sell shares. So, a Demat account is almost always accompanied by a trading account. Some banks provide a 3 in 1 account, a combo of a savings account, trading account, and Demat account.
What are Motilal Oswal Demat Account AMC charges?
The other import charge related to the Motilal Oswal Demat account is the Demat AMC charge. Demat AMC charge refers to the annual maintenance charge that you need to pay for maintenances of the Demat account. Motilal Oswal charges Free or Rs.300 per Annum as Demat AMC charge.
What are Motilal Oswal Trading AMC charges?
A trading AMC charge is a separate charge from a Demat account AMC charge and refers to the annual maintenance charge you pay to maintain your trading account at Motilal Oswal. Motilal Oswal charges Free as trading AMC charge.
Is Motilal Oswal Demat account CDSL or NSDL?
Motilal Oswal Demat account is maintained at NSDL & CDSL. By depository, we mean a financial institution that holds your certificates and securities. Motilal Oswal is a depository participant, or in other words, an agent of the depository. Motilal Oswal charges Demat AMC from you and pays it back to the depository source.
Different types of Motilal Oswal Demat Account
Motilal Oswal Demat account can be one of the three types
- Regular Demat Account: This is for people who are Indian citizens residing in India.
- Repatriable Demat Account: This is for Non-Resident Indians, also referred to as NRIs. A repatriable Demat Account has to be linked to an NRE bank account.
- Non-Repatriable Demat Account: This is similar to repatriable Demat Account as it is also applicable for NRIs. However, the difference is that funds cannot be transferred abroad and it has to be linked to an NRO bank account.
Is Motilal Oswal Demat account free?
Motilal Oswal charges Zero for trading and Demat account opening. There seems to be confusion regarding Demat account opening charges. A depository participant such as Motilal Oswal combines both the Demat account and trading account charges into a single charge called account opening charge. Even if the Demat account is free, you need to pay a small amount to open a trading and Demat account together in Motilal Oswal.
What documents are required for opening Motilal Oswal Demat account?
Motilal Oswal Demat account requires documents such as an Aadhaar card, pan card for identity proof. You also need to submit documents for address proof and income proof. So it's good to keep documents such as bank statements, a canceled cheque ready. Apart from documents, you might need to provide passport size photographs.
Is Aadhaar card required to open Motilal Oswal Demat account?
Yes, the Aadhaar card is one of the most important documents which serves as identity proof for Motilal Oswal Demat account. You might need to sign the Aadhaar card digitally.
Is a pan card required to open Motilal Oswal Demat account?
Yes, a pan card is mandatory for opening Motilal Oswal Demat account. SEBI enforces this. Whether you plan for a small or big investment, you are bound to provide a pan card for opening Motilal Oswal Demat account.